Examples of specifications

Subject: Examples of specifications
From: jsokohl -at- mac -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 14:4:21

Hi all,
I'm looking for excellent examples of specifications. Specifically <g>, I'm
looking for specs related to standards, instead of software requirements
specs or hardware specs. Anyone have any ideas where to find such things
either online or as copies you can email me?

Other than the garbage that a reader has to wade through in the beginning
and the numbered paras, an example that seems pretty good is at
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-secure/

Audience: Developers who want to know whether their product initiatives
will comply with corporate standards. The specs support standards. I see
them as catalog-oriented docs that tell readers MUST/NOT, MAY/NOT,
SHOULD/NOT, MANDATORY/OPTIONAL types of things. The specs aren't
procedural, else they'd be, well, procedures. And their not guidelines,
because they do stipulate things.

Ideas? Comments? Help?

Thanks,

joe