RE: Motivation - Suggestions?

Subject: RE: Motivation - Suggestions?
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:32:39 -0700

Tamara,
I just went back and re-read your post, and now am not sure if you're
asking for advice on what to do or simply sharing what worked for you.
Proceeding along the first assumption because I already wrote it:

If you're really dealing with serious long-term boredom, then you
probably want to think about shopping your resume for contracts that are
more interesting to you. I was in a similar position a couple of years
ago, having been on a contract for over two years, no
changes/excitement/learning in sight, and decided it was time to change.
Granted, the job market was much different then. Perhaps you could tell
them that you'd like the 2002 option, instead of 2003, and then you can
see how (un)motivated you are come winter?

In the meantime, I'd look at the excellent short-term alternatives
offered by others here, including counting your blessings. I get bored
or at least distracted nearly every day at some point during the day,
sometimes before the day even starts, but the motivation is the roof
over my head, the cat kibble, and the books I love to read. Sometimes
it's a forced effort, sometimes I'm cruisin' in the zone!

If it was the second, and you're sharing what works when you're bored, I
think you came up with some good solutions, though it may be a tad
indelicate given the state of the job market. (On the other hand, it is
hard to dance around the fact that many of us are in fact employed and
the best many of us can offer for now is our sympathy, lacking actual
jobs to hand out.)

Lisa