Re: Slashdot is most definitely not a "myth."

Subject: Re: Slashdot is most definitely not a "myth."
From: Aahz <aahz -at- pythoncraft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 13:17:52 -0400

On Fri, May 31, 2002, "Grant, Christopher" wrote:

> Regardless, if you want to get respect from software developers, it
> behooves you to become familiar with /. You may "pooh-pooh" it, but
> from my experience, developers will scoff at you and label you a
> bubbleheaded writer if you let them know you think this way. It's
> like pointing at a Calculus textbook and saying, "Aww, that stuff is
> just for amusement - I don't take it seriously." :)

Um. I *am* a software developer, among other things, and software
developers are the people I spend most of my time talking to (at least
when it comes to technical matters). Those are the people who most
pooh-pooh Slashdot, IME. If you think that software developers respect
Slashdot, you must hang out in a markedly different community from mine.

At the very least, please don't present your opinion and experience as
the Gospel truth, because my experience is that one *loses* respect from
developers if one puts much faith in Slashdot.
--
Aahz (aahz -at- pythoncraft -dot- com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"In the end, outside of spy agencies, people are far too trusting and
willing to help." --Ira Winkler

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l