RE: Need Your Opinions re Simplified English (Can I quote you?)

Subject: RE: Need Your Opinions re Simplified English (Can I quote you?)
From: "Bulloch, Scott" <scott -dot- bulloch -at- sap -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 20:05:26 +0200

Back on topic. Don't feed the trolls...

Yes. I have been doing some research into the topic, given the new direction
of our group. The company I work for is providing additional focus on the
SMB market worldwide, and a number of the projects we're working on will be
localized and/or translated. While I don't have much experience with using
SE, I can definitely see its merits.

>What do you feel the impact is to you as a writer?

It'll mean more work. I know I'll need to pay more attention to word choice,
and where a word has more than one meaning.

>Do you feel it would help/harm your performance?

Initially, development will take longer, due to unfamiliarity with the
rules. However, as I grow more comfortable with the guidelines, it will
become more a part of how I write.

>What do you think the cost/benefits are to your
>audience?

Costs: Time and money during ramp-up of using SE.
Benefits: Clarity, ease of use, ease of translation
I do have one issue I wish to address about Mr. Clark's postings. He keeps
arguing about "corrupting the English language" by using SE. He also makes
comments about the French and their "well-documented battle against" the
English Language. Mr. Clark, you're more like the French than you know. The
French want to keep their language pure. Well, it appears you agree with
the French on this. :)

Scott

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l