Re: What do you like most about MS Word?

Subject: Re: What do you like most about MS Word?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <susanwg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 08:09:47 -0700

At 04:22 PM 5/28/02 -0700, Bruce Byfield wrote:

In the interests of fair play, I should ask ...
what do list members like most about MS Word? ...

I started using Word around 1986 -- was it 2.0
or 3.0 for DOS??? -- we got our first laser printer
and some downloadable proportional soft fonts
and Word was the only one of the 14 or so word
processors we had in house (we were a training
company) that handled proportional text correctly.

What do I like most about Word?

Outlining definitely tops the list; I'd be lost
without it. When you're half-way through a doc
and realize that the structure just isn't right,
popping into outline mode to re-examine and re-
arrange things is wonderful.

F4 -- you can tell I use it a lot because my
key cap is practically worn off! ;-) (This
is the "repeat last edit action" key, BTW)

Autotext -- I put *everything* in autotext!
Sequence numbers, table formats, product names
with funky formatting,...

Editable toolbar buttons -- what I don't put
in autotext is on my toolbar! <g> I generally
make buttons to change case, apply styles,
run macros,...

Macros -- I don't use a lot of them and mine
aren't very sophisticated, but the ones I do
create I use a lot.

Borders & Shading is another tool I use a lot
that I'm impressed with for its ease of use.
Adding top & bottom borders to a paragraph,
for example, is a breeze.

And in looking at my list, I realize that what
I like best about Word is that it lets me create
the shortcuts I need so that when I'm writing I
can concentrate on writing, not on formatting
or on the interface itself, but on the words
that are falling out of my fingers and hitting
the keyboard.

Just my two cents.
-Sue Gallagher
susanwg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com