Re: writing tests are for wussies...

Subject: Re: writing tests are for wussies...
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <susanwg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:03:52 -0700

I once interviewed at a software shop that
provides help authoring tools and is based
in San Diego -- before the company changed
its name. <g> They gave a whole battery of
tests -- writing, editing, ...and, surprise
of surprises! -- the Meyers-Briggs personality
test! I think I flunked. I never heard back
from them. ;-)

Along about the same time (more than 7 years
ago), I interviewed at a small law software
office. The man who interviewed me said he'd
never hired at the salary I was asking; I
don't think he was amused when I told him that
I had (hired someone at that salary). They
asked me to write something about their software,
which I did. They then offered me a contract,
which I refused.

And last year I applied for a doc manager
position at another local company -- this
one rather large and currently being dragged
around by a certain nefarious accounting firm.
They gave a test that was partially editing
a piece written in programmereese (which I'm
very good at) and partially a series of "What
would you do if..." questions. I've been told
that I did well, and I did go on to interview,
but AFAIK, they have never been given the go-
ahead to fill the position I interviewed for.

I can't remember any other tests. So, three
tests in about 19 years in the software
industry, none of which resulted in a job.

As a hiring manager, an employee of mine talked
me into using a test for programming skills when
we were interviewing API writers. I wasn't happy
with the test or the results -- all of the
interviewees seemed intimidated by it -- so I
dropped it after a couple of trials.

-Sue Gallagher
susanwg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com

At 10:22 PM 5/20/02 -0700, Goober wrote:

I was once administered an IQ test during a job
interview... I figured
what the hell. Scored pretty high...
But... doesn't it seem odd to you?

Have any of you ever been administered an IQ test
during an interview? Any other weird test?

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l