Re: PDF from Word 2002 - no bookmarks, in a single file

Subject: Re: PDF from Word 2002 - no bookmarks, in a single file
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 09:07:37 -0600

Julie Shannon <vashon_shannon -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Seeking Group Wisdom here: I believe that I have an
> "Offending Character" in a 128 page Word 2002 document
> that I have converted to PDF.

What do you mean by "Offending Character" and why do you believe that?

> On a sister file, everything went fine -- all
> bookmarks and links converted, things were dandy. In
> this file, the conversion "chokes" when creating the
> bookmarks...

What do you mean by it "chokes"? What error messages or symptoms do you see?
Is the PDF being created, but without bookmarks, or does the process fail
completely?

> Can anyone provide advice as to how I might go about
> troubleshooting?

What version of Acrobat do you have? Are you using the Acrobat PDFMaker
plug-in in Word? Do you have a Distiller printer instance created from the
appropriate Distiller PPD?

> I suppose I could go ahead and create the bookmarks
> manually (yuck) -- but I would like to know if this is
> a common problem and how others have managed to solve
> it.

This suggests that you're getting a good PDF, but without bookmarks -- is
that what's happening? If so, have you checked your PDF setup in Word
(Acrobat>Change Conversion Settings)?

Sorry to be so little help, but without more information, we're shooting in
the dark.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs