RE: Telecommuting

Subject: RE: Telecommuting
From: "Carey Jennifer (Cry)" <jennifer -dot- carey -at- cdi -dot- cerberus -dot- ch>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:50:11 +0200

I telecommute from home part time. Much of what I have to say will simply
echo the comments of others on this list.

-I aim for 2-3 days a week from home, but when I'm nearing the end of a
document, I find that I need to go in a lot more and am lucky if I manage
one day a week (actually, today is that day :)

-One of the potential advantages to my working from home (though we have yet
to take advantage of it) is that since workspace and related resources are
limited, we could let others use my desk and computer when I'm at home.

-When I work at home, I ususally work more hours than I would if I were in
the office (I bill by the hour though...)

-I mentioned that I bill by the hour - sometimes, I work less hours. I lose
money and valuable working time because I never fudge the time I actually
worked, and if my self-discipline wavers for even a moment, I might find
myself in the kitchen or in front of the TV or with a dust rag in my hand...

-sometimes I find I don't have everything I need to work because I
accidently left it at home or at the office (even though I can log on to the
server from home, I write notes on paper, I jot down phone numbers, or I
work off line at home and forget to move my work back on to the server,
etc.)

-this situation is a trade off in many ways. While I can basically roll out
of bed and start working (which is pretty nice), I feel less like a part of
the whole at work. Whether this is good or bad is not easy to say. There is
something to be said for detachment...but you need to really evaluate your
professional and personal objectives, and be honest with yourself about what
brings you satisfaction.

Feel free to email me with specific questions.

Good luck!
Jennifer