telecommuting

Subject: telecommuting
From: "Robyn Schell" <robyn_schell -at- dccnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 00:10:15 -0700

I've been telecommuting for 10 years. I prefer to call it teleworking which
emphasizes working and downplays commuting.

I found the best way to telework involves a combination of working onsite
and offsite. I always meet my clients at the beginning of a project and, if
possible, conduct the first review onsite. Once the client is familiar with
the way I handle reviews, I complete the review cycle online.

Working onsite occasionally also raises your profile, and keeps the client
involved in the project so you can finish the it on time and on budget.

Meeting the client in person with finished work also deflects the common
misconception that teleworkers are at home watching TV and perfecting the
life of the couch potato. In fact, most evidence suggests that workers who
toil offsite, work longer hours and are more productive than onsite
employees because there are fewer distractions.

I'm rarely interrupted at my home office but when I work on site, I often
get less done because of lunch invitations, dept meetings and impromptu
chats. Of course, these types of contact are productive in their own way.

Robyn Schell
r squared information design ltd
www.r2id.com