Re: Telecommuting

Subject: Re: Telecommuting
From: Katie Kearns <kkearns -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:53:14 -0700

At 04:48 PM 4/11/2002 -0700, Fred Sampson wrote:

Yes, not being in the office regularly I miss out on some of the face-to-face interactions, gossip, and hallway meetings, and often communicate with people I've never met in person. On the other hand, I'm not distracted by the gossip and hallway meetings and daily quest for doughnuts and lunch. My observation is that the folks with the most productive working relationships while telecommuting are those who worked in the office for several years, establishing good personal relationships. Now that they're offsite, the established relationships persist.

You can still manage these in email, phone calls, or instant messaging.

I use a lot of instant messaging and email even with people who sit 2 or 3 cubes away from me, so it often feels the same if the person I'm talking to is at home or at work.

-Katie