RE: "late arriving" or "late-arriving?"

Subject: RE: "late arriving" or "late-arriving?"
From: "Andrew Broman" <broman -at- acm -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 12:37:51 -0800

I had always learned the rule that Salette mentions. Interestingly enough,
however, the latest Chicago Manual of Style (14th ed., now nearly a decade
old) supports the omission of the hyphen "in all cases where there is little
or no risk of ambiguity or hesitation" (6.41). I don't believe the first
example would be ambiguous without the hyphen, but I do believe it would
cause hesitation in reading. I therefore would argue that, even with the
amended rule, Salette is correct.

Andrew Broman
broman -at- acm -dot- org