RE: "check" the box

Subject: RE: "check" the box
From: Gay Reed <greed -at- incode-inc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 09:21:21 -0600

Since the result of checking a checkbox is a checkmark or an X that marks
the spot, I use "mark the checkbox". Unchecking a checkbox results in a
clear checkbox, so I use "clear the checkbox". It's not so much the
confusion with other senses of "check" that bothers me as the ineloquence of
the redundancy.

The issue of consistency comes up often on this list and I think that's
really what's important here. It's good to establish a vocabulary for your
readers and to remain true to it. For instance, using "enable" in one
context to mean "mark the checkbox" and in another to mean "something the
system does to a control when I take a magical combination of actions" means
the user has to think overtly about what "enable" means in the context.
Consistent vocabulary choices act as guideposts which point to the real
content. Ideally, users process these guideposts peripherally to smooth the
trip to their real destination: completion of the task at hand.

Regards,
Gay Reed
INCODE, Inc.
Lubbock, TX