But seriously now folks ... (was HUMOR: STC Conference Time - )

Subject: But seriously now folks ... (was HUMOR: STC Conference Time - )
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:40:09 -0500

I would like to reiterate an invitation to members of this list.

I am the guy who will be overseeing the review and selection of
presentations at next year's STC conference in Dallas for the Tools and
Technologies topics. I would be more than happy to consider proposals for
presentations on the use of tools (Nora Merhar's idea of "How to Get
Frame/Word/Dreamweaver/Visio/RoboHelp to Do What You Want" is very
interesting!) and technologies. While the traditional interpretation of
technologies has been along the lines of the single-sourcing realm, I would
love to be able to bring a couple of topics like "A Technical Communicator's
Introduction to Internet Security and Firewalls" or "Server-based v.
Thin-client Applications and What They Mean to Technical Writers" to the
conference. Please make sure that they are of interest to some sector of the
technical communicator spectrum. Not all technical writers are computer
people, so technical topics in other areas are also welcome.

I cannot change any of the STC rules, so you will have to pay to attend and
present. I can't even guarantee that your submissions will be accepted, but
I will ensure that they are fairly reviewed.

So instead of sitting back and complaining, why not take this opportunity to
DO something? It looks good on your resume, proves that you can do a
presentation (standing up or sitting down is OK), and gives you something to
wow the folks back home with. Check the STC web site (stc.org) for details,
but proposals are generally due in August for presentation next May.

Proactively yours,

John

PS - Eric, I have reviewed the posting rules and do not think this could be
considered an ad.

John Garison
Documentation Manager
IDe