RE: Secret government information

Subject: RE: Secret government information
From: "Nora Merhar" <nmerhar -at- charlesindustries -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:48:12 -0600

My first job was with a government contractor. I had a "secret" clearance
(not "top secret") which was the highest clearance anyone in the group had.
As I remember, I got the "confidential" clearance almost right away--the
"secret" clearance took a bit longer, but not that much longer. It all
happened after I was hired. I had to fill out a questionnaire, and then was
interviewed by someone from the FBI (low-level--not really formal or scary).
I assume that "top secret" would have been a longer and much more involved
process, with interviews of former associates, etc.

Certain pages of documents were classified, and if a certain page was, the
whole document was classified at the highest level of any page in the doc
(so if there were only confidential pages in the doc, it was classified
"confidential", and if there were confidential AND secret pages in it, it
was classified as "secret").

Oddly, I ended up doing almost all of the "secret" work, because it had to
be done on a particular computer in a particular room, and nobody else
wanted to do it!

Nora

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign!