RE: Occupational hazard - carpal tunnel

Subject: RE: Occupational hazard - carpal tunnel
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:18:28 -0600

A couple things about mice:

The scrolling wheel mice seem to help me. I know it involves repetitive use of one of the fingers that the median nerve serves, but it's a less stressful movement than the wrist movement involved in moving the mouse around.

I've also found that a cordless mouse reduces strain considerably. Last year I bought an optical mouse in the hope that it would be more comfortable to use. Unfortunately, this mouse had a significantly thicker cord, to power the light, and that was when I noticed how much of the effort of using a mouse goes into managing the cord. Even though the mouse is slightly heavier, because of the extra weight of the batteries, it seems to be less of a strain to use.