re: PowerPoint for the Unenthused

Subject: re: PowerPoint for the Unenthused
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:05:55 -0700

re: I may find myself in a situation where I need to quickly become a
PowerPoint guru, to lead an effort to create a series of training
presentations. ... Anybody know any good books for getting some advanced PPT
skills together in a hurry? I know the basics, but will need to become a
power user if this assignment falls on me. (Keith Cronin)

Keith, I suggest you have 99% of what you need because you are a technical
writer. PPT is just another tool, but it gives plenty of opportunity to
practice things like white space, graphics, steps/bullets, etc. And
chunking ... each slide is a "chunk," right?

I'd advise concentrating instead on the "training presentation" portion of
your requirement rather than the tool, because were I to guess, I'd guess
this sounds the most different from everyday tech writing and where you may
indeed not be at 99%. That is, brush up not so much on the PPT tool but
rather on live presentation skills, training design, etc.

And, I'd be enthused about this opportunity, as live presentation for
training is certainly something different, and there can be useful synergy
between it and the usual technical writing, and doing each can sharpen
skills in the other area.

PPT basics are enough. The "flash" was well and truly debunked on the front
page of the Wall Street Journal recently. For some fun with this, see
http://www.norvig.com/Gettysburg/making.html