Re: Online portfolios and viewing source (was RE: Other handshakes?)

Subject: Re: Online portfolios and viewing source (was RE: Other handshakes?)
From: Thom Randolph <thom -at- tctrandolph -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:42:27 -0800

Steve:

Well, first I'd keep a cache of samples that I don't give to ANYONE. Not even leave with the interviewers. And watch to make sure they don't make copies or scan it.

Then, for those you keep on the net, change things just a little, like using unusual words that are not quite obvious, but that you can point out. Indeed, if there is some factual "thing" that these talk about, use other nouns or verbs than what is true, and point that out in your interview if you get challenged again. Bring copies of the "correct" content with your. For example, say you're writing about bicycle wheels, and you call what everyone knows is an "axle" a "spindle". Now, someone who really did the work would know that the pedal cranks connect to the bottom-bracket spindle, but a lamer who stole your stuff probably doesn't have the wits or knowledge to know that wheels have axles. Likely your stuff is more, well, technical.

Then there's the age-old fun of writing your name in the first letters of sentences in a paragraph, or the first letters of the words in a seemingly appropriate sentence that. "Last, lubricate outside yellow dropouts to ensure smooth operation. See how easy that was? Can you guess my middle name? Hint: Lloyd. Might seem perfectly sensible in a topic on bicycles, but it's utter nonsense in reality, and also spells out my middle name.

On your web site, be sure to embed several hidden (HTML comment or SCRIPT comments) notices that cleverly claim the content as your own. For example <script>//I have blue underarm hair, and you will smell it forever if you steal my samples.</script>. The browser will hide the tag contents on normal viewing, the source will show it, but someone looking at it might not notice it. Okay, maybe not such an outrageous statement as that ;-).

If your writing has to contain pictures or screen shots, blithely include your name, or your dog's name in the screen text. Now, most companies frown on this, so you might have to work up a "special edition" for the purposes of your sample. Yes, Yes, Yes, GET PERMISSION to use the work as a SAMPLE!

Those are just a few. There are many ways to tie material to you personally without others knowing it. On all my books, there is a small blue dot on page 100 that identifies it as mine. No need to worry about someone removing my signature from the inside cover; they'll never even know the dot is there. But, I can go to any of my books and it'll be there. Well, those that are over 100 pages ;-).

One thing: be sure that the information you put in there isn't something that is officially personally identifiable, like your Social Security Number, or a credit card number!

Thom

At 07:05 PM 2/10/2002 -0800, Steve Arrants wrote:

Other than only
providing samples on request via CD, I can't think of another solution.
Anyone have suggestions/tips?