RE: Applying On-Line

Subject: RE: Applying On-Line
From: Win Day <winday -at- wordsplus -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:08:48 -0500

At 04:12 PM 29/01/2002 -0500, Ehr, Meg wrote:

<SNIP>

How do newer TWs -- especially those who don't read this list* -- learn that
they should use styles? It could be taught in TW programs (and maybe some
programs do so), but a lot of TWs transition from other fields without
formal TW education. It's easy to learn on the job, but if you can't get the
job without knowing styles, where does that put you?

This has been an interesting thread. I'm the one who created a template with custom styles to use when taking notes in class when I went back to school last year!

I've almost always been a lone tech writer. I still use styles all the time. Even for my resume.

As for learning them early or not early enough, maybe the trend is changing. Both of my sons were taught in high school communications tech classes to at least use and tweak the built-in styles.

So there's hope for the up-and-coming generation of tech writers!

Win

Win Day
Multimedia Developer

http://www.wordsplus.net
mailto:winday -at- wordsplus -dot- net

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr