Re: Mailto: frame to PDF

Subject: Re: Mailto: frame to PDF
From: Wolf Davidson <ghstwolf -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:21:37 -0800

Hi, folks;

As others have noted, it depends on the defined email client.

I have found it also depends on which mail-capable applications are
running when the PDF link is clicked, for example:

OS: Windows 2000

Registered email client: Eudora

Email-capable software: Outlook, Outlook Express, Netscape Communicator, Opera.

Note: On first use of Outlook and Outlook Express, both applications displayed
a dialog box asking if I wanted to use them as the default email tool: I clicked
"Do not display this message again" and selected "No".

If no email clients are running, clicking the link opens Eudora.

If Eudora and/or the Netscape browser or Communcator is running, clicking the link
opens the Communicator email client (rather annoying)

If only Internet Explorer is running, clicking the link opens Eudora (see above note).

If Opera and/or Eudora are running, clicking the link opens the Opera email
client - and if it the Opera email client is not configured, it opens the Opera
email configuration dialog.

It appears that the behavior is dependant on the combination of registered email
client, browser of choice, and operating system.

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Jan Henning wrote:

> >I agree with Jo Watkiss. On separate machines, one (Win2k) with Outlook as
> >the defined email client, and another (Win98) with Outlook Express as the
> >defined email client, a browser window is still opened as well as as new
> >mail window from the proper email client.

I checked this on my NT4 SP6 box after selecting Outlook as the email client,
and got the same behavior. Incredibly annoying!

> This is curious. I could not replicate that behavior on a Mac (OS 9 or OS
> X); there only the e-mail client opens, as I wrote in my earlier post.

Laughing, Apple seems to have gotten more things right than Microsoft;
my wife has a G3.

It's been a while since I've used Solaris (nearly 4 years), but I do not
remember experiencing the various problems on Solaris.

> Thanks, Chris, for checking and sorry about the confusion. Maybe some
> other Windows users can clarify whether this is a Windows bug, err,
> feature or whether this is configurable in some way.

Hope this has helped, Jan; good luck!

Personally, I stay away from Outlook(x) due to its vulnerabilities to
various kinds of viruses and worms - except when it is the Official
Corporate Mail Tool of Choice.

At my last job, Outlook was the Official Choice when I started; and even
though Symantic Antivirus was installed on all machines, viruses and
worms still got through and cost the company several days of downtime
three times in a space of four months.

I know, as did the company admins, that this happened because various
individuals did not perform an automatic update and full scan on a regular
basis; however after several mass reminders, the company gave up and
switched to Eudora (one week before laying off 50% of the staff!)

wolf -dot- davidson -at- nemasys -dot- com http://www.nemasys.com/wolf
Words that soak into your soul are whispered, not yelled

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr