RE: Applying On-Line

Subject: RE: Applying On-Line
From: Geoff Purchase <Geoff -dot- Purchase -at- ReTechGlobal -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:49:03 +1000

For all the talk about styles in resumes - and with so many posts I'm sure
I've missed some, does anyone actually think a potential employer will knock
you back if you have used a template and styles for your resume? Isn't this
whole discussion about a few minutes worth of work on your/our part that
will have either a positive reaction or no reaction at all?

I've seen posts saying something like, "I won't work for a company that
expects this sort of thing". Fair enough comment as I place my employers on
probation for the same period they place me on probation - usually three
months. These expectations are not one of my employer selection criteria
but I understand the sentiment, even if I do disagree with it. I won't work
in an environment that is too noisy with conversation. In almost ten years
as a TW I've never had a position that matched the advertised criteria or
the statements made in the interview.

I don't know if I've added to the debate or not, especially as it seems to
me to be much ado about nothing. Oh, I use styles for my resume as well,
and it took me less than 30 minutes to create and implement the required
styles.

Geoff Purchase