RE: Virtual Teams

Subject: RE: Virtual Teams
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 19:16:28 +1000

Nearly two years ago I saw an interesting demo of an inexpensive solution being used for doctors in outback Queensland (Australia) hospitals to communicate with hospitals in larger centers. It was used both to assist doctors in diagnosing problems and to allow patients who had been sent to a larger hospital far away from their home town to talk with their relatives (very important with Aboriginal people in particular).

The system used ordinary webcams for video and I forget what program for audio. Because the connection was low-bandwith, the video was a bit jerky but quite adequate for the circumstances. I think my doctor friend scanned some stuff for display when conducting professional discussions. He even delivered at least one paper at a doctors' conference from his outback office, using the webcam. And it was all at local-call rates, not long distance.

I don't recall how many video "windows" were practical under this system, but it does offer a possible how-cost, low-bandwidth option for smaller organisations.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/
Avalook at Australia Travel site http://www.avalook.com.au/

At 03:49 PM 1/17/2002 -0800, John Posada wrote:

Video is a pain for most companies...especialy from the standpoint of
quality. The bandwidth needed for real-time video is enormous!

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr