Re: Lingua Franca Today

Subject: Re: Lingua Franca Today
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:56:32 -0800

kelley wrote:

i'm glad that i could provide the service of heuristic....errrr...being a teaching tool for the silent audience of aspiring tech writers who come from academic backgrounds.

and i'm thrilled to have provided an opportunity to engage in the hobbyhorse of academic-bashing. you just don't hear that sort of thing often enough!

For the record, my comments about how language is used in academia come from within academia. I'm mostly just repeating the standard rhetorical analysis of academic discourse. It's true that I find much of academic discourse distasteful, while rhetoricians tend to be more neutral in their observations, but you could think of the analysis itself as being academics engaging in academic-bashing.

"To bring the dead to life
Is no great magic.
Few are wholly dead:
Blow on a dead man's embers
And a live flame will start."
-Robert Graves, "To Bring the Dead to Life"