Re: Lingua Franca Today

Subject: Re: Lingua Franca Today
From: kelley <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:33:54 -0500

At 12:04 PM 1/15/02 -0800, Bruce Byfield wrote:

kelley wrote:

well, my mistake was to provide context/background that distracted. or, perhaps, the mistake was not to provide enough context/ background in order to forestall the concern that 'lingua franca' is inappropriate for technical writing. were this technical writing, i'd agree with you. it's not technical writing, however.

also, as i noted in a lengthier post, the writing is supposed to challenge. the point _is_ to force the reader to stop and slow down and think. this sometimes requires 'distracting' readers. it's a technique used in didatic writing.

Well, to each their own. But I wouldn't use "lingua franca" in academic or journalistic writing, either.

as you said, "to each their own". additionally, this is the kind of writing we are asked to write. frankly, if it were an issue, i'd toss the disposable diaper and keep the baby in a heartbeat since i'm not ego-identified with how i write the material per se. we're supposed to entertain and illuminate, culturally and historically, and put technical issues in terms that literate people from ivy league humanities backgrounds will understand.

i'm glad that i could provide the service of heuristic....errrr...being a teaching tool for the silent audience of aspiring tech writers who come from academic backgrounds.

and i'm thrilled to have provided an opportunity to engage in the hobbyhorse of academic-bashing. you just don't hear that sort of thing often enough!

next time your're in my neck of the woods, i'll buy and show you how good i am at the sport, too!

:)

kelley

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr