Re: STC Membership

Subject: Re: STC Membership
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 12:09:57 -0800

Sharon Burton-Hardin wrote:

I sat in on an interview at a client's once. The interviewee did not have
STC listed on his resume - no other professional orgs either. The only
question I asked in the entire interview was "Why not?" He said he wasn't
much of a joiner.

Actually, the problem here is less membership than lack of interview skills.
Rule #1 of interviews: Always use the interviewer's questions as an opportunity to sell yourself. At the very least, avoid saying something that reflects badly on you. And, if you do make an admission that might reflect badly on you, turn it around into a strength. For example: "No, I'm not a member, but I feel like I can learn more and be more helpful by participating in discussions on the Techwr-l list."

This anecdote reminds of someone I interviewed who admitted that he hadn't had time to look at the company's web site - he looked unprepared, and, in less than a dozen words, he lost the job.

"Whoever invented the policeman ought to be licked into shape,
Toughened and trained till the body's a cane...
Till obedience rules and encircles the brain
With walls so he'll never escape."
- Leon Rosselson "Whoever Invented the Fishfinger"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr