Re: STC Membership

Subject: Re: STC Membership
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 11:39:38 -0800

Dan Hall wrote:

Any thoughts on _why_ this is a req. for those particular
opportunities? Or what the perceived benefit to the
employer is?

It sounds to me like STC empire building. Past or present employees were enthusiastic about the organization, and sold the companies on the idea that membership meant something.
The STC's implicit claims to control tech-writing has always reminded me of the late Byzantine Emperors, who regarded themselves as the heirs of the Romans, even though their rule barely extended a hundred miles beyond the gates of Constantinople.
The only difference, of course, is that the Byzantines actually had some importance at one time.

This requirement is disturbing, but I doubt it will last or spread. The STC has rarely shown any interest or ability in raising its profile, so I doubt it will be able to maintain its profile, either.

"Whoever invented the policeman ought to be licked into shape,
Toughened and trained till the body's a cane...
Till obedience rules and encircles the brain
With walls so he'll never escape."
- Leon Rosselson "Whoever Invented the Fishfinger"

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr