RE: STC Membership

Subject: RE: STC Membership
From: "Dan Hall" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 06:47:59 -0600

Wow: "...job(s) ...where STC membership is mandatory"?

Anything else required? Certification in Feng Shui?
Ownership of a specific model SUV? Master's degree in
Mixology? :-)

I don't have anything against the STC (though I'm not
currently a member) - but I can't imagine an employer
boxing themselves in like that. It's saying that unless
you drive a blue BMW, you need not apply. (I do, so
I'm Ok. Well... maybe "Ok" is pushing it. :b)

Frankly, I'd have to be pretty desperate for work before
I'd interview with an employer who's looking for STC
membership as a prereq for employment.

Any thoughts on _why_ this is a req. for those particular
opportunities? Or what the perceived benefit to the
employer is?

Just wondering.

Dan

Dan Hall
Sr. Technical Writer
SchlumbergerSema RTEMS

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr