Re: benefits of STC membership

Subject: Re: benefits of STC membership
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 11:27:20 -0800

Anita Legsdin wrote:

You're right about your statement "if I lived in Vancouver..." One of the greatest benefits of the STC, in my opinion, is the opportunity for networking, for making connections.
As I said last week, the point of networking isn't just to make connections, but to make useful connections. Head-hunters, CTOs and marketing managers - the type of people who making hiring decisions - aren't very common at STC events. You will find people have input into hiring decisions, but only occasionally the people who make the final decisions. And while you may hear about some jobs, the head-hunters are likely to hear about them just as quickly, and do something about getting you an interview.
You're far better off going to events where you can meet the real decision-makers - you'll not only make useful connections, but learn something about the technologies you use.

"Whoever invented the policeman ought to be licked into shape,
Toughened and trained till the body's a cane...
Till obedience rules and encircles the brain
With walls so he'll never escape."
- Leon Rosselson "Whoever Invented the Fishfinger"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr