Being resourceful (was RE: tech writing)

Subject: Being resourceful (was RE: tech writing)
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 06:49:41 -0700 (MST)

> Since when is asking SMEs (in this case us, as working technical
> writers) for their opinions and insights *not* being resourceful? I
> don't think the student asked anyone to do the homework, but merely to
> contribute our opinions and expertise. I would hope that a college
> student would already know how to do well-rounded research.

So, how _does_ one teach students (or new tech writers)
how do be resourceful? Or how does one find resourceful
writers to hire? Or distinguish between resourceful
or non-resourceful writers?

Seriously, I don't mean this as a specious question.
I didn't see anything particularly _wrong_ with the
student question that kicked this thread off, but
it also didn't strike me as an indication of
great resourcefulness either.

I've had my share of experiences with non-resourceful
writers, and the experiences were pretty frustrating
and painful for all concerned. That said, I'd like
to be able to quantify "resourceful" in terms more
definitive than "I know it when I see it".

Any thoughts?
Eric