RE: Being resourceful (was RE: tech writing)

Subject: RE: Being resourceful (was RE: tech writing)
From: "Mike Hiatt" <mhiatt -at- vocaldata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:15:22 -0600

Well, I learned to be resourceful when I was a journalism student. The
sophomore reporting lab (we wrote stories for the campus newspaper to learn
our craft) had a large, bound printout of all the students names, hometowns,
classification (freshman, sophomore, etc.), major and minor and maybe one or
two other things like that. We also had a faculty guide. We were supposed to
find out information about the people we interviewed when we interviewed
them and were required to use various descriptors as we wrote our stories
with no two in a row the same. If we didn't ask them, we were required to
dig through the book to find the information.

You learned a couple of things real quick, ask lots of questions about the
basics up front (including how they spelled their name) and you learned
about how many different ways you could locate them in the data to try and
find a couple of other ways to refer to them.

I still use those skills of thinking how many different ways can I locate
this information today. Sometimes it's searching on the net, othertime it's
which person do I ask this question.

Mike Hiatt
Manager, Tech Pubs
VocalData, Inc.