RE: Layoff logistics and etiquette

Subject: RE: Layoff logistics and etiquette
From: david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:35:06 -0500

Layoffs are financial and accounting systems manipulations. These manipulations are about hitting targets or gaining some space. There is little thought given to them, so it's entirely conceivable that the executives had no idea six weeks before the fact that they were going to layoff.

I remember when we got VC funding. All of a sudden, we had to spend the money, so they went out and doubled the sales force. This was done in the face of space negotiations for new office space. It ended up that the developers could not relocate, because their space was taken up by the new sales people. Once the organizational culture was split, the company was never the same.

Don't expect the executives to know anything until after they've made the decision. The staff that prepare the alternatives don't talk. At most firms, the boss's secretary knows everything, but will never say a word. It's part of the job.

David