RE: Need Help with Word

Subject: RE: Need Help with Word
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:53:14 -0400

At 12:12 PM 18/10/2001 -0400, Cekis, Margaret wrote:

Sandy:

Have you recently upgraded to Office 2000? This is a feature Word 2000 that
did not exist in earlier versions.

Actually, I like it because in long documents, I use "Table of Contents
(Continued)" on multiple-page TOCs. Well-known bugs in previous Word
versions would destroy all post-Insert formatting in the TOC if you used
"update links", and required manual page-number revision if you didn't want
to go through all that again when a last-minute revision changed a couple of
page numbers.

The new option that allows you to just update page numbers is a big
improvement, in my estimation. I know it is a pain to click on the "update
page numbers" option for the TOC, the List of Figures, and the List of
Tables if you are using all three, but I'll take it over the previous
alternatives.

I don't know how to turn it on or off, though.

<puzzlement> I've been using Word since version 6. You've always had the option to just update the page numbers or replace the whole ToC.</puzzlement>

But Sandy is right: you used to only see this dialogue box if you (1) printed, (2) updated the field(s), or (3) had Update Links upon File Open (not sure that's the syntax) turned on.

I haven't figured out how to turn it off either, but to be honest I don't find it that intrusive. It does guarantee that you'll see page breaks (and therefore page numbering for the ToC) where your current default printer would place them. If you don't update that field, even with just the page numbers, the numbering might not match what you see as you scroll through the document.

Win

Win Day
Multimedia Developer

http://www.creativeimplementations.com
mailto:winday -at- creativeimplementations -dot- com

New Mexico: attend the entire event or select a single day. For details and online registration, visit http://ieeepcs.org/2001