Re: HTML editor: does everyone need to be on the same page?

Subject: Re: HTML editor: does everyone need to be on the same page?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 12:57:30 -0700 (PDT)

> Secondly, I think the attitude that everyone on the writing team
> should be using the same tool to produce code with is dangerous;
> proprietary WYSIWYG editors almost always impose idiosyncratic
> code that can render your finished product accessible only to
> a specialized audience. If that

Sorry, but this argument is getting old and it is doodoo....
propagated in most part by those who have spent their whole career
learning how to code in Note Pad and are upset that others are coming
along and with clicking button and dragging borders, are creating web
page that are just as attractive and functional.

I'll create a perfectly usable and feature-rich web page in FP
(although I can do it in NP too, though in 1/4 the time) and I
challenge you to not be able to use all the functionality on that
page by any mainstream or even nearly mainstream browser that can
read standard 3.2 or 4.0 html code.

The problem comes when someone who doesn't know how to implement a
feature on a page, does so, but that can happen regardless of the
authoring tool. I'll bet you can create one hellofa broken web page
in notepad.

You may not like some of the underlying code or how the code for the
page is arranged, but only a very small portion (single digit
percentage) of people viewing web page even know about View -> Source
and even less care.

Besides...for the most part, each version of FP has been intruding on
existing code less and less, with FP2002 doing almost none at all.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"I am a bomb disposal expert. If you see me running, try to keep up."

http://im.yahoo.com