Re: HTML editor: does everyone need to be on the same page?

Subject: Re: HTML editor: does everyone need to be on the same page?
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 13:49:00 -0400

John Posada wrote:

> > Secondly, I think the attitude that everyone on the writing team
> > should be using the same tool to produce code with is dangerous;
> > proprietary WYSIWYG editors almost always impose idiosyncratic
> > code that can render your finished product accessible only to
> > a specialized audience. If that

> Sorry, but this argument is getting old and it is doodoo....
> propagated in most part by those who have spent their whole career
> learning how to code in Note Pad and are upset that others are coming
> along and with clicking button and dragging borders, are creating web
> page that are just as attractive and functional.
>
> I'll create a perfectly usable and feature-rich web page in FP
> (although I can do it in NP too, though in 1/4 the time) and I
> challenge you to not be able to use all the functionality on that
> page by any mainstream or even nearly mainstream browser that can
> read standard 3.2 or 4.0 html code.

> You may not like some of the underlying code or how the code for the
> page is arranged, but only a very small portion (single digit
> percentage) of people viewing web page even know about View -> Source
> and even less care.

> Besides...for the most part, each version of FP has been intruding on
> existing code less and less, with FP2002 doing almost none at all.

Products such as Front Page and Publisher certainly do a fine job, for
what they are. They clearly make it easy for those without a lot of
technical coding experience to produce a web page or DTP document. They
also make it easy to produce a quick and dirty prototype, that might be
used as a final. I also know folks who can spot a Front Page site simply
by it's look and speed, or lack thereof, of loading. I agree with your
comment about the "Notepad HTML coder." The Notepad coder is as much of
a production guy as a punch card programmer. However, I think that we
agree that other products such as Dreamweaver have a legitimate user
base. I also think that there products such as Dreamweaver and Hot Metal
that put out more efficient code and allow for greater artistic license.

--
Peter
Mailto:peternew -at- optonline -dot- net

Adapting old programs to fit new machines
usually means adapting new machines to
behave like old ones.