RE: HTML editor: does everyone need to be on the same page?

Subject: RE: HTML editor: does everyone need to be on the same page?
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:08:31 -0400

John Posada wrote:
> > Secondly, I think the attitude that everyone on the writing team
> > should be using the same tool to produce code with is dangerous;
> > proprietary WYSIWYG editors almost always impose idiosyncratic
> > code that can render your finished product accessible only to
> > a specialized audience. If that
>
> Sorry, but this argument is getting old and it is doodoo....
> propagated in most part by those who have spent their whole career
> learning how to code in Note Pad and are upset that others are coming
> along and with clicking button and dragging borders, are creating web
> page that are just as attractive and functional.

I agree with John. Early WYSIWYG editors could be frustrating because you
couldn't do everything in them and they would mess up hand-coded pages, but
this is no longer true in general. I find the time savings are immense.

In addition, if the other team members ARE using FrontPage and you believe
FP will mess up some of your "beautiful" hand-tuned HTML code that you wrote
in NotePad or an alternative HTML editor, WHY ARE YOU WRITING THIS
HAND-TUNED CODE? As your team members may also work on the same pages, you
should be using the same editor so that you all deal with the same
idiosyncrasies and don't fight each other every time you edit each other's
pages.

And, finally, I don't know about FP, but Dreamweaver provides some
collaboration hooks that work best when everyone is using Dreamweaver
(shared notes, and also a check-in/check-out facility so you don't both work
on the same page at the same time).

Michele Marques, Technical Writer
AUTROS Healthcare Solutions, Inc.
marquesm -at- autros -dot- com <mailto:marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>

This material is intended for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed and may contain information that
is privileged, proprietary, confidential and exempt from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the material to the
intended recipient, you are notified that dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please contact the sender immediately via e-mail and destroy this message
accordingly.