Documentation Review Process and Tools

Subject: Documentation Review Process and Tools
From: Sandra -dot- Friend -at- cbs -dot- fiserv -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:59:47 -0400

Cedric Simard writes:
"Imagine you are working in a company where:
- you use FrameMaker to create documentation,
- nearly 20 people have to review different parts of each piece of
documentation before sending to customers."

I don't have to imagine...I'm there. My strategy is twofold: hard copy (per
our internal process) to those SMEs who need to mark up the document and
return it to us; softcopy by means of PDF to both the SMEs and others on
the project team, so they can try out hyperlinks and the like. I have no
problem with generating single pages or chapters as PDF, no need to
redistribute an entire product guide for review, in most cases. Granted,
they can't mark up the PDF, but we don't want them to, either. <G>

My attempts at generating RTF or DOC files from FrameMaker have met with
failure as well. Copy and paste into Word is the only work-around I've
found to get Frame documents back into Word.

Cheers, Sandy

Sandra Friend
Technical Writer
Fiserv CBS International