RE: Watermarks & Excel

Subject: RE: Watermarks & Excel
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 19:14:48 -0600

> Subject: Watermarks & Excel
> From: Ardene Whittlesey <twriter40 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
> Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:51:31 -0700 (PDT)

> I'm not a big Excel user and need to know how to put a
> watermark on an excel document.

It's doable, but there is are a couple of nasty catches.

Excel does provide the capability for putting images behind the rest
of the stuff in your worksheet, but unless they've fixed it in XP, you
can't print the image. (Actually, you can print the background if you
save your worksheet as an HTML document, open the HTML document in
Internet Explorer and then print it as a web page.) Also, the image
will tile.

So, if you need a standard watermark in the back of your page and you
need to print the document, I suggest copying your spreadsheet and
pasting it into Word, either as an Excel object, as a picture or as
text (Edit --> Paste Special for all three), and insert the watermark
in the Word document.

If printing isn't an issue, here's how you insert an image in the back
our your worksheet.

1. Select Format --> Sheet --> Background
2. Select the image for the background.
3. Click Insert.

Your image is tiled as a background to your worksheet.

--

John Fleming
Technical Writer