Overcoming archaic doc tools?

Subject: Overcoming archaic doc tools?
From: Jfuller246 -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:13:02 EDT

Hi everyone,

I work for a large company (1,700 employees) that still uses IBM BookMaster for all manuals. Help! It is the most archaic un-user-friendly piece of software I've used in a long time. The BookMaster manual was last updated in the late 1980s. I can't believe I'm thinking this, but I miss MS Word!

I've asked the other writers about this. They looked into updating the tools several years ago, but nothing could handle the periodic updates to 10-year-old manuals about mainframe systems. So we stay in the Dark Ages?!

So, can anyone give me advice on how to go about suggesting this company get modern and incredibly more efficient? Anybody deal with converting over 300 manuals to a modern word processing tool? By the way, I'm dealing with a change-resistant group of people---even the people who've been here only 3 years have succumbed to the "change is scary/unnecessary/bad" mentality.

Any ideas would be immensely appreciated.

Jeanne
jfuller246 -at- aol -dot- com