Help!!!!! I don't know where to start

Subject: Help!!!!! I don't know where to start
From: HUDSPET -at- Nationwide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 16:30:20 -0400

Hi all. This is my first time posting a message in this
forum....so...please be gentle. I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I just
recently graduated from college with my BA in English (wooo hooo!!!). My
boss, as part of my development plan, suggested that I take on some writing
projects with our documentation team located within our systems department.
Now, I've done all the preliminary foot work. I've done the initial
outline. Completed the Information Plan, and at this time I'm waiting for
the SME's to complete their testing process so that we can meet to get
deeper into what the content of the manual will be. I've received wonderful
guidance from my peers, but my dilemma is my motivation. This question is
probably one of a more psychological nature than a technical issue, but I
thought I'd try my hand at seeing how experienced tech writers keep
themselves motivated.

So that you know a little about me. I'm starting graduate studies this
September in Information Systems, and I'm preparing myself to take the
first of three certification test, to receive my Site Designer
Certification. I am not shy when it comes to learning. I've chosen tech
writing as an upcoming profession because of my love for the written word.
But for some reason, I look at all the information I have stacked in front
of me, and my mind begins to draw complete blanks. What I would really like
to know is how intimidated do you get each time you're confronted with a
new project, and how do you handle it? I've been reading oceans of
management and motivational books. Every time my mentor suggests a book,
I'm at the library picking it up.

Does anyone have any tips for me. Any help in this mind-swimming experience
that you can provide would be appreciated, more than you'll know.

Thank you and
GoodNight!