RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:16:16 -0600

John wrote:

> For example, I have worked at a lot of places on a lot of very interesting
> applications. While I was immersed in them then, it doesn't mean that I am
> now, no matter how intrinsically interesting they are.

Bruce replied:
Fair enough. Interests change, and, as you say, keeping up with
everything is hard. However, all of that's really besides the point.
What surprises me is that many people can't muster much interest in what
they're doing now.

My comments:

I fell in love with multimedia 15 years ago and haven't looked back since.
I weathered, hypermedia, director, x-script, video CD, Compact Disc
Interactive, DVD interactive, etc. At one point, I was on the Philips team
to develop the DVD format. Vidiom (my company) was asked to develop Divx for
Circuit City, but we thought it was a bad idea, so we went in the direction
of interactive television.

I have now worked for four companies during that timespan that are directly
involved in some aspect of multimedia: middleware for CD players, authoring
tools for VCD, CD-I, ITV, VCD and CD-I application development, and
currently, author tools and application development for interactive
television (ITV).

I love my topics. Often I hate my clients (as a company--cable companies
are usually not your friends), but not as people. They are generally
overworked, understaffed, and totally a mess as a company. But that's why I
get contracts.

If I had to change jobs, I would look in the television/multimedia segment
of the industry and get another job.

If I had to take a job outside of the ITV/MM industry, I would still
voraciously read everything I could about ITV/MM because it is fascinating
for me. AND of course I would still be looking for a job in that segment of
the industry.

I understand not everyone is so lucky as to find a job they really love, but
like Bruce, I don't get all the unhappiness and non-interest in tech-writing
topics by tech writers.

walden