Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:03:34 -0700

jgarison -at- ide -dot- com wrote:

For example, I have worked at a lot of places on a lot of very interesting
applications. While I was immersed in them then, it doesn't mean that I am
now, no matter how intrinsically interesting they are.

Fair enough. Interests change, and, as you say, keeping up with everything is hard. However, all of that's really besides the point. What surprises me is that many people can't muster much interest in what they're doing now.

I admit that my view is largely that of a contractor. Although I've taken jobs simply to bring in some money, on the whole I'm used to considerble freedom of choice. So, while I understand that inertia or the wish for security could make people stay in one position longer than I generally do, I'm baffled that people would stay in a job that held no particular interest for them. Maybe that says more about me than about other people, but that seems both wasteful and needlessly self-denying to me.

"Wherever we go, we celebrate
The land that makes us refugees."
-The Pogues, "Thousands Are Sailing"