RE: Writing the "@" symbol by hand

Subject: RE: Writing the "@" symbol by hand
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 17:15:34 +0100

-----Original Message-----
>I promise this will be the most trivial question I ever post:

<g> Now that's a promise and a half... <g>

>When writing down your e-mail address by hand (I never have my business
>cards when I need 'em), how do you write the "@" symbol?
>I have deplorable handwriting, and have adopted upper-case printing as my
>only form of handwritten communication.

My handwriting is pretty bad whenever I'm thinking about something else
(it's fine when I'm concentrating, thanks to a term's sustained effort when
I was 12 with a fellow-LotRF who was old enough to have read the books as
they came out...)

But, in any case, when I have to write my e-mail address down, I do a
small-letter a and draw out the tail of the a into a curl around the whole
a, though not quite touching. It may not look much like the keyboard @ (the
"at" symbol) but the main thing is not that it looks like the symbol it
represents, but that no one entering my e-address could mistake it for
anything else. I take much more care with the halves of the e-address either
side of the "at" symbol, since while I assume anyone savvy enough to be
e-mailing me will *know* there's an "at" there, there's no reason they
should know exactly how to spell my nickname, my initials, my surname, or my
ISP.

Jane Carnall
"Go not to the technical writers for counsel, for they will tell you to
RTFM."