RE: Lying About Salary

Subject: RE: Lying About Salary
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 17:22:10 +0100

Beth wrote:
"With your master's, your accomplishments and your experience,
your next employer should know what you're really worth."

BILL SWALLOW asks a Generic question:
>Does higher education even get factored in once you've built a solid base
of
experience? If so, how and why?<

Some large and prestigious UK companies won't employ anyone who doesn't
have, at minimum, an Honours degree (or, I assume, the equivalent in
post-graduate qualifications). I don't have an Honours degree, I have a
simple pass/fail (and I passed <g>) BSc. So I've never worked for these
companies. <shrug>

I think that if you take a Master's degree part time or in evening classes
(as a friend of mine is doing right now) then the fact that you had the
gumption and dedication to put yourself through that, and pass, says
something about you that any good employer should value, regardless of the
subject of your Master's degree.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer and Compendium
of Arcane and Useless Information