RE: flexible web-based document creation

Subject: RE: flexible web-based document creation
From: "Hubenthal, Dayna" <dayna -dot- hubenthal -at- zeevo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 08:46:37 -0700

"Hubenthal, Dayna" wrote:

Hi all,
If this is redundant, could someone please point me to the discussion
thread on this topic. I've seen bits and pieces all throughout the
archives. But
no clear cut advice.

Situation: All of our documents are created in Word and I want to turn
specific word documents into their own web-based documentation based on
help authoring software (or whatever the correct tool would be). I need
indexing, TOCs, links jumping all over the place within the document, the
ability to "go-back", graphics (Visio and Word Picture), multiple frames
within a open window, etc. We use Dreamweaver for our intranet.

We will create the on-line documents for internal use by engineering as well
as
perform a major brain dump from engineering to operations (test and
production). The docs will also serve as training for our marketing and
applications departments who will, in turn, tweak and migrate the training
to our customers.

I've looked at "True Help" by Component One but it doesn't seem to work with
NT. I've noticed people chatting about "RoboHelp" and "WinHelp". Are these
easy to use? The project is looming on my immediate horizon and I don't
have much time to learn. RoboHelp is probably too expensive for my
start-up. True Help was in the low hundreds of $s range.

I have not officially learned HTML, java, etc., although I can putter
around in them at the novice level. Are these necessary to use with
RoboHelp and
WinHelp?

Any help or advice would be grrrrreatly appreciated.

Regards, dayna