RE: User feedback / meeting the readers etc.

Subject: RE: User feedback / meeting the readers etc.
From: <ian -dot- saunders -at- vf -dot- vodafone -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:53:52 +0100

Chris,

This is EXACTLY our experience.

However, we are lucky in that we provide support documents for staff
elsewhere within our own company, so it is relatively easy to get their
feedback by the only method I have ever found effective: frequent, regular,
meetings.

If you leave it to the users to provide feedback (by phone, e-mail,
snail-mail or whatever) THEY WILL NOT DO IT ("it's not my job", "life is too
short...", "I've done it before and got no response", "I don't know how",
etc., etc.). You have to make it easy for them, and regular, formal
sit-downs with a group of representatives is the best way of doing this.
Occasional one-to-one meetings with users not in this group can also provide
useful input, but the only way to assess the merits and importance of
suggested changes is through group discussion.

Ian Saunders
Vodafone Ltd.