RE: Getting input into the style guide

Subject: RE: Getting input into the style guide
From: Anne Robotti <Anne -dot- Robotti -at- radisys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 08:36:37 -0400

> But... I also don't want to get into an infight. I just have a strong
> feeling that any style guide that simply specifies "Arial" as
> a font choice
> is not one that paid much attention to what user guides need
> to look like;
> and if all the documentation I produce is to be formatted in
> accordance with
> the company style guide, I want some input into what the
> company style guide
> says!
>
> I would appreciate insights and advice on how best to handle this...

Jane, what I would do is to write a memo that uses the existing
company style guide as a jumping off point. Something along the
lines of, "To promote the company look & feel, headings of all
technical manuals will use Arial font, and body text (which needs
to be in serif fonts for readability) will be in TNR." You pretty
it up (sorry people!) but I think this accomplishes two main goals.
It makes it clear that you are certainly interested in following the
company style guide, and also makes it clear that technical manuals
have style considerations that may not already be addressed in the
company style guide.

Anne