Re: Getting input into the style guide

Subject: Re: Getting input into the style guide
From: "Keith Cronin" <kcronin -at- DALEEN -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 05:50:50 -0700

Jane wrote:

> (I'd used Times New Roman for the body text, and Arial for the headers. Not
> the most inspired of choices, but I wasn't after being inspired: just
> getting a standard style that could then be changed as required.)

and:

> I assured her that
> I was not wedded to anything in my current template, and I'm not.

If both of the above snippets are true, why not just switch your body text
to Arial, and move on? You set up a template to be easily changed (good
idea) and have now been asked to make a change. So, change it.

Some companies involve their tech writers in their document design, and
some don't. Sounds like yours falls into the latter category. If you
really _are_ personally detached from this aspect of the job, it shouldn't
matter to you.

But it sounds like it does matter to you, which is fair enough. In that
case, be honest with yourself, and be prepared for a bureacratic
challenge, one which might begin to impact the time you could be spending
actually _writing_ the documentation...

Either way, good luck!

-Keith Cronin

(Another point: Arial is not an uncommon font for manuals; it's not like
they asked you to use some bizarre cursive script font or something...)