RE: translating English online help to French?

Subject: RE: translating English online help to French?
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:06:38 -0600

No. It'll be a pain no matter how you slice it.

The text is the easy part. Take your source RTF files and CNT files and send
them to a professional translator using a translation memory system (such as
TRADOS).

Your images are another story. Can't do screen shots unless the GUI has been
completed. Moreover screen shots are best done by someone familiar with the
software, which means an in-house user.

Theoretically, the GUI and the screen shots should be done before you send
it out to translation, because the screen shots contain a wealth of
terminology that the text in the RTF/CNT files needs to aim for.

However, if the same translator did the translation of the GUI and is using
a translation memory system, the chances are good that RTF/CNT translations
without screen shots available will still use the proper term.

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com