HTML Help Workshop won't save after activating Favorites tab

Subject: HTML Help Workshop won't save after activating Favorites tab
From: hedley_finger -at- myob -dot- com -dot- au
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 16:22:06 +1000

Keyboard tappers:

I am using mif2go to export from FrameMaker files to HTML Help workshop.
This process creates a vanilla *.hhp project file which, when used to
compile a *.chm file, only activates the Contents and Index tabs in the
navigation pane. mif2go also creates *.hhc (Contents) and *.hhk (Index)
files; the developer recommends NOT to use HHW to modify these files but to
just include them in the compilation without modification.

After opening the *.hhp file in HTML Help Workshop (HHW) and setting the
options to activate Search and Favorites tabs, I cannot save the project.
An error message appears indicating that some other program is using the
file (access violation). This is DEFINITELY not the case. I do use
Wordpad and Notepad (saving as text) to sometimes edit the *.hhp but not on
this occasion.

Also, I find that I cannot set Search and Favorites without creating a
window. Does anybody know whether this is a factor in the access violation
problem? If I do create a Window, can someone advise me of the options it
is safe to set to get the same tripane appearance as the default HTML Help
Viewer (tripane, with button bar, navigation pane, and topic pane), with
the addition of Search and Favorites tabs, of course.

I searched Microsoft's site and found an issue report dealing with an
access violation when editing a TOC file (*.hhc) but this does not apply in
this case. Since the *.hhc file was not generated by HHW, it is possible
that there is something in the file that activates the bug, although just
doing a vanilla compile without touching any options is trouble-free.

[Windows 2000, FrameMaker 6.0p405, FrameScript 1.27C01, Enhance 2.03,
Acrobat 4.05.2, mif2go 31r25, IXgen 5.5.h, HTML Help Workshop 4.74 build
8702.0, HTML Help 1.31]

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor