"Install" as a noun?

Subject: "Install" as a noun?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:44:21 -0400

Chris L wonders <<Has anyone run across any tech documents written by
engineers using "install" as a noun? I checked
Websters but the word is strictly a verb. I'm wondering if in certain tech
circles it is acceptable to bend the rules to use the word as a noun. >>

I've certainly seen it used often enough by techie types that I suspect
we're watching a new usage being born. Similarly, you'll often see them
refer to something as a "build" (as in "toss that old install; I've got a
new build I want you to try"). Whether you should use this term in
documentation depends on your audience: if they're techies (e.g.,
programmers), it might be perfectly acceptable, but for a general audience,
there are almost certainly better choices. Among other things, the odds are
good that these readers want you to focus on something other than the
installation itself: they want to use it!

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."-- James D. Nicoll

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.