RE: Word to PDF

Subject: RE: Word to PDF
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:44:20 -0400

1) The only way to get Distiller is to buy Acrobat or to get it bundled with
something like FrameMaker.

2) You should not use Adobe's generic PostScript printer. You should create
a specific printer instance called Distiller from the latest Adobe
PostScript printer for your OS plus using the Distiller PPD, which comes on
your Adobe CD.

3) In Word, use PDFMaker to create PDFs. PDFMaker is included in your
purchase of Adobe Acrobat.

4) PDFWriter uses a non-PostScript process. It's output might be less than
what you want. Certainly, it does not support the hypertext generation for
indexes, TOCs, and cross-references that MDFMaker, Acrobat, and PostScript
support.

5) There is something out there called GhostScript. Search for it, it might
be a cost effective way to do what you want. I use Acrobat, though, and am
happy for it.

Cheers,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com